SWALEC (South Wales Electricity) was an electricity supply and distribution company which following the de-regulation of the electricity supply industry was bought by Welsh Water in 1986.
In February 2000 the retail electricity and gas business trading as SWALEC was bought by British Energy, some six months later SSE bought the electricity and supply business.
As part of SSE, SWALEC is now the brand used by SSE in Wales
As a supplier of electricity, gas and other home services SSE have some 10 million customer accounts. In addition SSE:
- has over 11,000 megawatts of capacity for generating electricity in power stations, hydro electric schemes and wind farms;
- has around 128,000km of overhead electricity lines and under ground cables, delivering power to around 3.5 million homes, offices and businesses;
- has a 50% share of Scotia Gas Networks, which has around 73,000km of pipelines delivering gas to around 5.7 million homes, offices and businesses;
- is the UK's largest onshore gas storage facility;
- is the UK's second largest mechanical and electrical contracting business; and
- is the UK's fourth largest telecoms network company.
With Energylinx you can compare the prices of all of the gas and electricity tariffs from each of the brands that SSE operates within the UK.
You can either call Energylinx for free on 0800 849 7077 or click on one of the links below:
If you want to carry out a gas and electricity price comparison please click here.
If you only have electricity please click here.