Scottish Hydro Electric were one of the original electricity boards, known at the time as the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board until a name change in 1991 to Scottish Hydro-Electric plc.
In December Southern Electric and Scottish Hydro Electric had a no premium merger at which point SSE was formed. Southern Electric is today effectively a brand of SSE that is available throughout England.
As a supplier of electricity, gas and other home services SSE have some 10 million customer accounts. In addition SSE:
- has over 11,000 megawatts of capacity for generating electricity in power stations, hydro electric schemes and wind farms;
- has around 128,000km of overhead electricity lines and under ground cables, delivering power to around 3.5 million homes, offices and businesses;
- has a 50% share of Scotia Gas Networks, which has around 73,000km of pipelines delivering gas to around 5.7 million homes, offices and businesses;
- is the UK's largest onshore gas storage facility;
- is the UK's second largest mechanical and electrical contracting business; and
- is the UK's fourth largest telecoms network company.
With Energylinx you can compare the prices of all of the gas and electricity tariffs from each of the brands that SSE operates within the UK.
You can either call Energylinx for free on 0800 849 7077 or click on one of the links below:
If you want to carry out a gas and electricity price comparison please click here.
If you only have electricity please click here.